In 2013, social media rules—if you aren’t accounting for the various social media platforms in your marketing strategies, your campaigns are bound to fail. And, while Facebook and Twitter are integral parts of the social media fabric simply based on their size, there are a number of other channels that you can, and should use to drive traffic to your site or offer.
YouTube, Instagram, and Google+ are certainly viable options, but today, we’re looking specifically at Pinterest and how you can use it to generate traffic. So without further delay, here are five ways to drive traffic from Pinterest:
- Pin Original Content—Creating your own original content will ultimately mean a larger audience, more clicks, and more conversions for your site. Why? Well according to RJMetrics, over 80% of pins on Pinterest are re-pins. So, if you’re creating your own original content, chances are it will be re-pinned over and over and over again. So what should your original content look like? Infographics, videos, even just text on a vibrant background will work. Basically, keep it simple and make sure it grabs visitors’ attention. Once you’ve got your original content pinned up, make sure to add your link so that users are able to follow you to your site or offer.
- Give Something Away—One tried and true method to spark a massive boost in traffic is to give something away in a pin. If you’ve got a great product, service, app, etc., that you can give away for free, do it here and make sure you link the pin to your page. It’s almost a guarantee that you’ll see a massive spike in traffic as a result.
- Focus On Trending Topics—Just like marketers use Twitter and Facebook hashtags to stay on top of timely, trending topics, you can, and should, do the same with Pinterest. Although Pinterest hasn’t incorporated hashtags into their platform, you can stay atop trending topics by integrating keywords in in captions or in board titles—you’ll increase your CTR nearly 100-fold by doing this. Focus on what’s hot in your particular niche, and tailor your blog posts and pins to those topics and you will definitely see more traffic as a result.
- Offer Contests—Contests are a great way to further intrigue users with your offer and interact with them both on Pinterest, as well as your site. Pin contests that require users to re-pin and make sure that those posts link back to your site. The most important part of this trick though, is getting other Pinterest users to re-pin your offer and share your content with as many people outside of your network as possible. To ensure that future contests drive even more traffic, choose the person who shared your content with the most people as your winner. This will provide an obvious incentive for future contestants to share your pins and your brand far and wide.
- Include Your Call To Action In Pin Captions—Call to action buttons and text don’t just work in Emails and on landing pages—they can also be incredibly successful in your pins. In fact, including a call to action in the caption of your pin can help increase user engagement by up to 80%. You can even use this call to action button in the image of your pin and link back to your site—an extraordinarily easy way to generate traffic and boost revenue.
These are our five tips for generating traffic via Pinterest and we guarantee that if you impart them on your next campaign, you will see results. Give these a try on your next campaign and if you have other suggestions for driving traffic with Pinterest, make sure to leave them in the comments below.
For more performance marketing stories and exclusive content, make sure to like TheMail on Facebook, follow onTwitter, subscribe on YouTube, and sign up for our Email newsletter.