By: Sean Wagner, CEO, Infinite Traffic
A good subject line can be the difference between recipients opening your Email, and sending it directly to the trash, so creating an exciting, attention-grabbing subject line should be at the top of the priority list for any Email marketer. To help you craft intriguing subject lines for your next Email campaign, here are my six top tips that you definitely don’t want to miss.
- Consistency & Keeping Your Promise—Your subject line should tell the reader what they’re going to find inside your email, and the offer should be consistent with that. Misleading subject lines may be fun to write, but let’s be honest—you’re not impressing anybody with them. In fact, you may encourage your reader to hit the spam button, which is the last thing you want. While a hot subject line might increase open rates, it can reduce future open rates if they don’t believe you.
- Instill A Sense of Urgency—“Only Three Days Left…” We all get lots of emails that we never get around to answering, or even opening for that matter. Including a sense of urgency encourages recipients to open your Emails as soon as they see them, and act instantly rather than letting your Email slip by without paying attention to it.
- Include A Call to Action—Your call to action should appear in the subject line or your Email and be consistent with the offer that’s inside the Email and also on the landing page. A call to action is a great way to get recipients to respond to your messages because it provides them with a prompt or tells them exactly what to do. To increase your clicks even more, make your call to action button a focus of your message—big, bold fonts and bright colors will catch your readers’ eyes and will push them down the sales funnel.
- Utilize Google Trends for Search—It’s great to be able to schedule out your Emails in advance, but hitting hot new topics at the right moment can greatly increase your open rates. Pay attention to what is trending and utilize that information to engage your audience.
- Use the Litmus Subject Line Checker—This Subject Line Checker lets you preview your subject line across a range of Email clients and devices instantly. You can also see how your Email will appear in the notification box. Knowing exactly how your messages will appear to recipients can help you design a more tailored, intriguing Email increase your overall opens and clicks.
- Don’t Include Spam Keywords— Why do you think you get all those Emails with Viagra spelled wrong in the subject line? ISP’s filter keywords that spammers commonly use, such as “loan,” “free,” or “offer.” Avoiding these words will help your Emails deliverability and prevent ISPs from marking you as a spammer.
For more performance marketing stories and exclusive content, make sure to like TheMail on Facebook, follow onTwitter, subscribe on YouTube, and sign up for our Email newsletter.